In the security guard and fire-watch industry, it is vital for security guards to provide the pillars of professionalism, communication, and preparedness that all clients look for. From construction sites to small businesses, security guards must be able to communicate thoroughly, provide a strong presence, and be alert for any potential threats or suspicious activity. In this read, learn more about the 5 rules security guards should follow, and how instilling these rules is the sure way to a successful security guard company.
- Communication is Key – A take-away from security guard training is to de-escalate situations before they become more serious and potentially threatening. Experienced security guards are aware that their body language, voice, tone, inflection, and words can help or hinder a situation, and security guards should be aware to always be courteous. Whether they are a visitor, customer, suspicious person on the property, etc. it is important to always approach with caution and courtesy.
- Quick Action During Crisis Situations – Security guards must always be alert and vigilant so they are not caught off guard if a problem arises. How a security guard responds to a call for help or when a crime/theft occurs on the property highlights how effective they have been trained to handle difficult situations.
- Following Post Instructions – To maintain order and to properly follow procedures, security officers are provided with specific instructions for the property, also known as post instructions, and must be able to keep up and check the instructions before every shift. Security guard companies communicate with many companies every day, and update, change, and edit their instructions often. It is important for professional security guards and fire watch personnel to be able to review instructions and be prepared for the property before stepping foot onto the property.
- Thorough Reporting – Within any professional security guard company, there is mandatory hourly reporting that can be sent to the client, and in this reporting, it is vital for the guard to be able to provide descriptive sentences for the company’s records, as well as the clients. If there is a crime or theft committed on the property, the detailed reporting will be one of the reports insurance companies review, local police department may review, and for the client to review as well. Detailed reporting is one of the most important parts of successful monitoring and reporting for any security guard company.
- Timeliness – Providing the level of professionalism to arrive at your shift on time can be a make or break for your company’s security guard contract with the client. If you are unable to make a shift, calling at least 8 hours in advance will not only help the scheduling department find a replacement guard, but will ensure that the client has been contacted and does not reach out, or cancel, services with the company.
To ensure that the guards on your property are providing professional security guard services and deterring suspicious activity on the property, hire a professional security guard company today. This ensures that the guards are properly screened and have the ability to work on various types of security sites.